I’m not going to comment on the state of the world (except for that) but I am doing a lot of chilling this festive season and looking forward to 2022. Plus I’m about to turn 30 (flirty and thriving)!
I was planning to do a lot of visuals but honestly I’m a bit wiped so I’m just gonna list some of my favourites from this year, in no particular order, and intersperse some pics of our adventures in France. My parents were living in their campervan when Covid started so they’ve ended up settling in rural France. We came over in early December before the borders closed, but we’ll be home for New Year’s.
You can now pre-order The Sky Beneath the Stone! Preferred options are direct from Kelpies or through my Bookshop.org affiliate page. I’ve heard tell that Aussies have been ordering from Booktopia. I’m not sure when you’ll be able to order through your local indie bookshop but it can’t hurt to check with them!
Books of the Year
Adult / Non-fiction
- Know My Name by Chanel Miller
- Diary of a Young Naturalist by Dara McAnulty
- Sword Stone Table: Old Legends, New Voices edited by Swapna Krishna and Jenn Northington
- Drowned Country by Emily Tesh
- Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
- Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard
- Solar Storms by Linda Hogan
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- Fathoms: The World in the Whale by Rebecca Giggs
- Jade Legacy by Fonda Lee
Children’s / YA
- Lakesedge by Lyndall Clipstone
- The Song That Sings Us by Nicola Davies
- The House with Chicken Legs by Sophie Anderson
- Across the Risen Sea by Bren MacDibble
- Secrets of the Last Merfolk by Lindsay Littleson
- Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
- Greenwitch by Susan Cooper
I watch a lot of films and don’t keep track of them very well but some of my favourites from this year have been Dune, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Raya and the Last Dragon and most recently Don’t Look Up and The Matrix: Resurrections.
Some of my highlights of 2021 have been getting to hang out with my parents for the first time since 2019 and my whole immediate family for the first time in years, starting a business with one of my best friends, training to be a Marine Mammal Medic and helping in the aftermath of Storm Arwen, travelling in the Highlands and managing to do some normal things with friends whenever we were actually allowed. I even went to roller derby training a few times!
Have a restful holiday season and Happy New Year!